Saturday, December 19, 2009

Subterranean life

Social theatre - The London underground and I’m guessing most subtrerranean transport systems are probably the most democratising of social theatres. All manner of humanity packed into a social space for a length of time…acts keep changing though the scene remains relatively unchanged. . The script? Its called routine… theatre of the ‘everyday’ …the score? The rhythm of the universe. Actors enter and exit on cue, there’s the occasional pause…that unique space when the rhythm breaks…

I think, therefor I am - Some spaces are built for musing, from the very banal….I was riding the under ground the other day, a part of the faceless commuter mass when I noticed that the lady sitting on the seat in front of me had these very elaborate plastic lenses on her glasses. The man facing her did too…no surprise they were together. Is that what happens when people spend too much together…you become a part of a cookie cutter product?
To the very elaborate …A hidden kingdom …Magic in the corridors…buskers with their ever present smiles, posters of musicals, movies or the occasional witty advertisement…lovers kissing on the escalator going towards the surface…noisy foreign students enjoying being well, foreign …

Fruit bubbles - Apple loaded, headphones on… Finger on the roller ball …now dive into your Blackberry…the air tight chamber shuts, the air lock comes on …1,2,3 …sigh!

Angels on the underground – I’ve never been to London city airport before, I’m so excited! I’m on my way to Rome! Pan here I come…Oh, Oh that’s my stop…shit!!! Run…phew, made it ….hiss, the door shuts behind me…but whats that? My E71 comes sailing out of the door…and he smiles…My angel walks back to his seat while the train pulls away and I stand there phone in hand, faith in humanity restored…

No comments:

Post a Comment